The newly premiered Andor is the biggest and most ambitious Star Wars Disney+ streaming series yet. Created by showrunner Tony Gilroy, who oversaw the rewrites and reshoots that salvaged the theatrical release of Rogue One, Andor is a prequel to a prequel: beginning five years before that film, it will bring its principal characters to the events of Rogue One, which itself leads directly into A New Hope and the Original Trilogy. The first season of Andor includes 12 episodes, with 12 more planned for a second (and final) season that enters production later this year. From the trailers, interviews, press conference, and other promotion, it seems clear that Andor is intended to mark the entry of the Star Wars franchise into the “prestige television” space alongside series such as The Crown, Game of Thrones, or The Expanse.
For its premiere on September 21, 2022, however, Andor released a trio of episodes focused almost entirely on the titular character, Cassian Andor (Diego Luna), and the immediate desperate aftermath of a particular incident. In this episode of Hyperspace Theories, Tricia Barr and B.J. Priester discuss how these episodes reintroduce Cassian to the audience at a very different point in his life compared to the seasoned Rebel Alliance operative from Rogue One. The episodes also make effective use of flashbacks to reach even farther back in his past – before, we learn, he even went by the name Cassian Andor – to lay the groundwork for the character arc that begins to develop in these early episodes of the series. In addition to the core story about Cassian, we consider the many new characters introduced in Andor, some of whom appear destined to play important roles in the series beyond the initial episodes.
If you missed it during the early rounds of publicity and promotion in late August, be sure to catch up on the Andor coverage at Fangirls Going Rogue and FANgirl Blog now that series has launched into its weekly release schedule for the remaining nine episodes of the first season.
- Fangirls Going Rogue Episode 22.14: Let’s Get Ready for Andor
- Andor’s Diego Luna and Genevieve O’Reilly On Fangirls Going Rogue
- Andor: Striving To Get Back To Star Wars’ Political Roots
- Tony Gilroy discusses Rogue One on The Moment podcast
- Adria Arjona (Bix Caleen) Roundtable Interview
- Review: Andor
- Hyperspace Theories Ms. Marvel episode
- Hyperspace Theories: Starting 2024 with the Future of Star Wars - January 29, 2024
- Hyperspace Theories: Allegories of Mortis - December 22, 2023
- Hyperspace Theories: AHSOKA Tackles the Jedi, the Force, and the Future of Star Wars - October 16, 2023