With San Diego Comic-Con a little over a month away, we’re starting to get an idea of what to expect in the way of guests, panels, and activities. Here are some of the things that look exciting:
- The Oh, You Sexy Geek! panel hosted by Action Flick Chick’s Katrina Hill.
The panel will discuss geeks, girls, and sex appeal. I’m not sure why everyone won’t want to be at that one. From the panel website:Does displaying the sexiness of fangirls benefit or demean them? When geek girls show off, are they liberating themselves or pandering to men? Do some “fake fangirls” blend sex appeal with nerdiness just to appeal to the growing geek/nerd market, or is that question itself unfair? How about sexy fanboys? And what’s up with all the Slave Leias? The Action Flick Chick asks these great panelists whether fans can be sexy and geeky at the same time – and if they should!Panelists include: Adrianne Curry (Next Top Model), Bonnie Burton (The Star Wars Craft Book, Girls Against Girls), Clare Grant (Team Unicorn), Kiala Kazebee (Nerdist.com), Clare Kramer (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Jill Pantozzi (TheNerdyBird.com), Jennifer K. Stuller (Ink-stained Amazons & Cinematic Warriors), Chris Gore (G4TV’s Attack of the Show).
Geek Girls Network will be hosting its second annual Geek Out party on Friday night. By all accounts, it should be a great time.
- Although we’ve not yet heard much official about the Star Wars presence, the ARCs for Fate of the Jedi: Ascension and Choices of One both mention “convention promotion” at Comic-Con. A quick check of Tim Zahn’s Facebook page confirms he is scheduled to appear at Comic-Con, so hopefully Del Rey has something interesting planned.
Jennifer Stuller from the Sexy Geek panel is also the Programming Director for October’s first annual Geek Girl Convention in Seattle, Washington. Just a reminder that GGC’s weekend pass tickets go up $10 after August 1st. Also, for World of Warcraft fans, GGC just announced they’ve chosen the Horde faction for their guild.
In the world of comics, this week saw Gail Simone rallying for more female creators in the DC universe in light of the news of the massive reboot and the creators signed on so far.
Heidi MacDonald of ComicsBeat recently shared a link to a very interesting survey about women and comics. I’m intrigued to see what the results of the research prove to be. Heidi also tweeted this thought this week:
Looking around the internet seeing all kinds of women complaining about this and that in comics. My advice… KEEP COMPLAINING. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Based on what I’ve seen, I have to agree.
And while we’re on the subject of fangirls, conventions, and looking sexy, check out this new site – Stellar Coordinates – for art and jewelry created by a long-time member of the Cantina.
- Hyperspace Theories: Masters, Apprentices, and Witches in AHSOKA Premiere - August 26, 2023
- Hyperspace Theories: The Inconsistencies of Mandalorian Season Three - May 14, 2023
- Best of Celebration Europe on Fangirls Going Rogue - April 24, 2023