Starting with an exclusive announcement on USA Today, which included FANgirl creator and Ultimate Star Wars author Tricia Barr’s appearance at GeekGirlCon, Disney Publishing Worldwide released the global schedule for Star Wars Reads Day. From their press release:
CELEBRATE THE FORCE OF READING AROUND THE WORLD ON
STAR WARS™ READS DAY OCTOBER 10, 2015
Read more, you must! Fans, authors, and publishers will join forces at thousands of Star Wars events worldwide
GLENDALE, Calif. (September 30, 2015) – Disney Publishing Worldwide and Lucasfilm Ltd. announced today that the fourth annual Star Wars Reads Day on October 10, 2015 will celebrate reading with events across the globe. The force of reading will be strong at thousands of regional and international storytelling events featuring a host of exciting literary programming for Star Wars fans of all ages as they gear up for the theatrical release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens on December 18, 2015.
Participants in this year’s events include top publishers around the world, including Disney, Marvel, DK Books, Scholastic, Abrams, Chronicle Books, Del Rey, Quirk Books, Workman, Egmont, Studio Fun, Phoenix International Publishing, and many more. The robust line-up of events will feature Star Wars-themed games and activities, various author-related signings, meet-and-greets, panels, and readings at bookstores, libraries and other venues across the country in an effort to promote literacy and unite fans of the iconic franchise.
Since the inaugural Star Wars Reads Day in 2012, there have been more than 2,500 events encouraging fans to read the films’ timeless stories, but for the first time, this year’s festivities will also feature titles from the recently released “Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens” initiative, which includes more than 20 print and digital books and comics for readers of all ages.
“We are thrilled to be working so closely with Lucasfilm and our publishing partners in planning this year’s Star Wars Reads Day” said Jeanne Mosure, senior vice president and group publisher, Disney Publishing Worldwide. “The growth of this initiative globally is a true testament to the force of the Star Wars franchise and the importance of reading.”
U.S. events include:
• Barnes & Noble, Montclair (10:00AM): Panel discussion with Cecil Castelluci (Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure)
• Barnes & Noble, Montclair (11:00AM): Origami workshop with Chris Alexander, of Star Wars Origami
• Mysterious Galaxy, San Diego (3:00PM): Origami workshop with Chris Alexander, of Star Wars Origami
• New York Comic Con, Javits Center (10:00AM – 12:00PM): Signing with author Daniel Wallace (Ultimate Star Wars)
• New York Comic Con, Javits Center (12:15-1:15PM): “Disney-Lucasfilm Publishing Presents: Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens” Panel with Chuck Wendig, Adam Bray, Jason Fry, Claudia Gray, Greg Rucka, Pablo Hidalgo, and Michael Siglain discussing the newest Star Wars books and what’s to-come in the Star Wars universe
• New York Comic Con, Javits Center (4:00 – 6:00PM): Signing with author Adam Bray (Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know)
• Books of Wonder, New York (1:00-3:00PM): Featuring Disney Lucasfilm Press authors, Alexandra Bracken, Tom Angleberger, and Adam Gidwitz
• Bank Street Bookstore, New York (11:00AM – 12:00PM): Signing with author Cole Horton (Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know)
• Maplewood Memorial Library (2:00 – 4:00PM): Signing with author, Jason Fry (Star Wars in 100 Scenes)
• GeekGirlCon, Seattle: Featuring author Tricia Barr, signing Ultimate Star Wars
A complete list of global events can be found at StarWars.com.
For more information on signings, parties and celebrations in your area, and to download the Star Wars Reads Day Printable Activity Kits, visit the Star Wars website and Star Wars Reads community Facebook page.
- Diana’s Heroine’s Journey Continues in Wonder Woman 1984 - January 4, 2021
- New Insights on the Flawed Finale: The Rise of Skywalker Revisited - September 11, 2020
- The Story Process Origins of a Dissonant Redemption: The Rise of Skywalker Revisited - September 9, 2020