After disembarking from the media preview voyage on February 23, FANgirl Blog had the opportunity to interview several of the project leaders behind its creation. In addition to Lucasfilm’s Doug Chiang, we spoke with Walt Disney Imagineering’s Ann Morrow Johnson, who served as Executive Producer and Creative Director for the development of the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser experience.
One of the aspects of the experience we were eager to ask about is the complexity of the choose-your-own-adventure structure of the voyage’s narrative. Passengers can interact with the adventure in numerous ways, including the Datapad, scheduled character interactions, and spontaneous encounters on the ship. In addition, Comms conversations on the Datapad often prompt you with several possible alternative responses, each of which leads to a different permutation of the ongoing interaction. Surely the Imagineers must have a giant flowchart of how all these elements interrelate over the span of the voyage?
We also spoke to another Imagineering producer on the Galactic Starcruiser project, Travis Finstein. The goal of the project, he explained, was “creating these next-generation type experiences that tell a story beyond what is on a screen, that instead takes guests into an environment and lets them participate in a story.” We then asked what he hoped guests would take away from their Halcyon adventure.
And the adventure is not limited to the Halcyon itself. While talking to Ann Morrow Johnson, we noted that both Tricia Barr and B.J. Priester are quite familiar with Galaxy’s Edge from multiple visits since its 2019 opening. Yet now those scenarios and experiences on Batuu – including the events occurring on the Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run and Rise of the Resistance theme park rides, as well as a visit to Oga’s Cantina – have a completely new connotation when experienced as part of the Galactic Starcruiser voyage.
- Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser – First Impressions
- Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser – Immersive Adventure Achieved
- Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser – The Continuity Conundrum
- Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser – Interview with Doug Chiang: Designing the Halcyon
- Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Adventure with Fangirls Going Rogue (Fangirls Going Rogue YouTube)
- Fangirls Going Rogue Episode 22.5: Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Day One Reactions
- Fangirls Going Rogue Episode 22.6: Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Day Two Reactions
- Galactic Starcruiser Ship Tour with Fun Facts (Skywalking Through Neverland YouTube)
- Galactic Starcruiser Food & Drinks (Skywalking Through Neverland YouTube)
- Skywalking Through Neverland Episode 358: Galactic Starcruiser – Accessibility & Know Before You Go
- Fangirls Going Rogue: The Bad Batch Returns - March 1, 2024
- Hyperspace Theories: Starting 2024 with the Future of Star Wars - January 29, 2024
- Hyperspace Theories: Allegories of Mortis - December 22, 2023