On the latest episode of Fangirls Going Rogue, we pondered the future of Star Wars storytelling. Our wishlist was more X-wing pilot stories and anything with more of the sequel trilogy’s Big Three. Wish granted: Lucasfilm has announced a new anime-inspired series set before The Force Awakens. Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) and Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) will be lending their voices to the series, reprising their fan-favorite characters.
A few details to note:
1. There is no definitive word on who the main character is, although Christopher Sean (Days of Our Lives) gets first billing in the announcement.
2. The show will air on Disney Channel and be replayed on Disney XD, which should alleviate the access issues that Star Wars Rebels had.
3. Many key figures from The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels production team are returning: Amy Beth Christensen on art direction, Athena Portillo and Justin Ridge as executive producers, and Keith Kellogg and Joel Aron.
4. As creator of this show Dave Filoni, will have an influence on all three film eras. The show’s timeframe will help mold the understanding of the First Order and conflict with the Resistance and New Republic.
5. For more excitement on social media, check out the hashtag #StarWarsResistance.
From Lucasfilm and Disney press release:
‘STAR WARS RESISTANCE,’ A HIGH-FLYING ANIME-INSPIRED SERIES THAT EXPLORES AN UNCHARTED TIMEFRAME PRIOR TO THE EVENTS OF ‘THE FORCE AWAKENS,’ ORDERED BY DISNEY CHANNELS
Production has begun on “Star Wars Resistance,” an exciting new animated adventure series about Kazuda Xiono, a young pilot recruited by the Resistance and tasked with a top-secret mission to spy on the growing threat of the First Order. It will premiere this fall on Disney Channel in the U.S. and thereafter, on Disney XD and around the world.
Featuring the high-flying adventure that audiences of all ages have come to expect from Star Wars, “Star Wars Resistance” will feature the beloved droid BB-8 alongside ace pilots, colorful new characters and appearances by fan favorites including Poe Dameron and Captain Phasma, voiced by actors Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie, respectively.
The series was created by renowned Lucasfilm Animation veteran Dave Filoni (“Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” “Star Wars Rebels”); executive-produced by Athena Portillo (“Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” “Star Wars Rebels”), Justin Ridge (“Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” “Star Wars Rebels”) and Brandon Auman (“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”); and art-directed by Amy Beth Christenson (“Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” “Star Wars Rebels”).
“The idea for ‘Star Wars Resistance’ came out of my interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots” said Filoni. “My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me. There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style, which is something the entire team has been wanting to do for a long time.”
Marc Buhaj, senior vice president, Programming and general manager, Disney XD, said, “Our colleagues at Lucasfilm have created a compelling narrative for an untold moment in the Star Wars galaxy, and we are excited to partner with them again on this new original series. ‘Star Wars Resistance’ will bring viewers across generations an engaging story with heart, humor and both new and familiar characters.”
The voice cast also includes: Christopher Sean (“Days of Our Lives”), Suzie McGrath (“East Enders”), Scott Lawrence (“Legion”), Myrna Velasco (“Elena of Avalor”), Josh Brener (“Silicon Valley”), Donald Faison (“Scrubs”), Bobby Moynihan (“DuckTales”), Jim Rash (“Community”) and Rachel Butera (“Tammy’s Tiny Tea Time”).
Tricia Barr's novel, Wynde, won the 2014 Independent Publisher Book Award Gold Medal for Best Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror Ebook. She was also part of Silence in the Library's successful all-female creator science fiction and fantasy anthology Athena's Daughters, which is available now. For excerpts and tales of her adventures in creating a fictional universe, hop over to TriciaBarr.com.
Latest posts by Fangirl (see all)
- Hyperspace Theories Episode 43 - May 8, 2019
- Fangirls Going Rogue: Basking In Celebration Afterglow - May 5, 2019
- Hyperspace Theories Episode 42: Playing In The Sandbox - January 22, 2019