With the home-video release already reaching our personal screens, Tricia Barr, B.J. Priester and Kay Serna continue their analysis of The Last Jedi. First, though, we make a brief detour for a “Spoilers Beware” segment to share our reactions to the series finale episodes of Star Wars Rebels and the teaser trailer for Solo: A Star War Story, both of which aired since the three of us recorded together.
We begin our discussion on The Last Jedi with the “Expanded Edition” story contained in the novelization of the film by Jason Fry. We consider how the novelization adds to the story of the movie, including new scenes and character points-of-view. We also examine the ways in which the book avoids elaborating or clarifying on story points where the film is best left to speak for itself, or where fan speculation and opinion is better kept unrestricted.
For the world-building segment we discuss the impact of Snoke’s death on the First Order and the progress of the story going forward into Episode IX. Both Kylo Ren and Hux are portrayed as characters with significant disadvantages in leading such a large entity, including their inexperience and personal traits. This is potentially a weakness the Resistance could exploit, but the instability in the First Order also could make its leaders very dangerous.
In our storytelling segment, we analyze another character triangle envisioned by Rian Johnson in writing the script, as noted on page 111 of The Art of The Last Jedi by Phil Szostak. This month we consider the triangle centered on Poe Dameron, and how his interactions with General Leia Organa and Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo shape his path from hotshot flyboy to Resistance leader.
- Support Looking For Leia
- Hyperspace Theories: Twitter @HyperspacePod
- Tricia Barr: Twitter @FANgirlcantina; email Tricia@fangirlblog.com
- B.J. Priester: Twitter @RedPenofLex; email Lex@fangirlblog.com
- Kay: Twitter @Geek_Kay; email Kay@fangirlblog.com
- Fangirls Going Rogue Discusses Cobb Vanth on The Mandalorian - November 12, 2020
- REVIEW: The Empire Strikes Back From A Certain Point Of View - November 10, 2020
- Hyperspace Theories: The Mandalorian – Clan of Two - October 26, 2020