Fangirls Around the Web: August 5, 2012
First, catching up on real life heroines from the news:
On July 23, I was saddened to hear of Sally Ride’s death from pancreatic cancer. She was an inspiration and a role model for so many women, and those in my generation particularly. My college internship at the Pentagon working on the space shuttle program remains a defining experience for me to this day, and I hope that today’s young women soon have another space program role model like Sally Ride to inspire them, too.
Out of the tragic movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado, on July 20 came this incredible story of the power of female friendship and the selfless heroism of risking your life to save another.
And of course fangirls are all over pop culture these days:
The title of this excellent Ms. Magazine blog article pretty much says it all: Women Attend Comic-Con But Don’t Run the Show.
After a previous controversial post on the subject of “booth babes” at conventions, the CNN Geek Out blog posted a great rejoinder by Genevieve Dempre, titled In Defense of Lady Geeks.
Maggie Furlong at The Huffington Post interviewed Anna Torv (Olivia) and Joshua Jackson (Peter) about the upcoming fifth and final season of Fringe.
Geek My Life conducted a great two-part interview with Consetta Parker about founding and running her publicity firm, her professional and personal geek experiences, and much more. Be sure to read both part one and part two.
Looking ahead to the imminent convention, GeekGirlCon posted two more previews: one of Maya Bisineer, “one busy and fabulous mom, geek, entrepreneur, and writer,” and the other with Anita Sarkeesian, whose web commentaries and Kickstarter Project have provoked an appalling and disturbing forms of backlash.
Finally, a few other links that caught my eye:
- GalleyCat shared a great flowchart created by the Lawrence, Kansas, Public Library to help fans of The Hunger Games find a book they might like to read next, depending on which particular aspects of Suzanne Collins’ work most caught their fancy.
- Denise Vasquez shared this photo of an amazing glow-in-the-dark nexu sketch card she drew for Topps.
- Did you miss out on the last Star Wars/Hunger Games crossover t-shirt? WeLoveFine is featuring another version. X-wings seem to be a necessary inclusion.
- And just yesterday, Ashley Eckstein tweeted a teaser of the art from what appears to be a new Her Universe shirt featuring Mara Jade.
- Best of Celebration Europe on Fangirls Going Rogue - April 24, 2023
- Hyperspace Theories: The Mandalorian Season Three Begins By Exploring Identity - March 24, 2023
- Fangirls Going Rogue: Katee Sackhoff on Bo-Katan - March 14, 2023