Hyperspace Theories: Story Structure and Character Development in The Bad Batch Season Two
On the latest episode of Hyperspace Theories, Tricia Barr and B.J. Priester consider the second set of three episodes in Season Two of The Bad Batch. These episodes – “Faster,” “Entombed,” and “Tribe” – present a trio of independent, self-contained missions for Omega and her brothers: accompanying Cid for an ill-fated gambling excursion involving riot racing, a dangerous adventure to seek an artifact in an ancient tomb with Phee, and an unexpected encounter with Gungi, a young Wookiee Jedi survivor of Order 66, that leads Clone Force 99 to conflict-scarred Kashyyyk.
Although some fans have expressed confusion about the purpose of these episodes in The Bad Batch Season Two, we discuss how classic elements of Star Wars story structure help to explain the character development goals underlying these episodes – and why our protagonists seem to meet less than successful outcomes for their endeavors. As Clone Force 99 struggles to find a new identity and purpose in the galaxy, these episodes provide them with important information and experiences that can influence their thinking and decisions going forward. Along the way, we also describe why these episodes of The Bad Batch are not “filler episodes” or “bottle episodes” as those terms are used in serial television storytelling, drawing on Tricia’s post about “Faster” and filler and an insightful post by Kathryn VanArendonk at Vulture. Finally, we use B.J.’s post about “Tribe” to briefly step back into the storytelling origins of The Clone Wars with George Lucas and examine how The Bad Batch pulls forward some decade-old unused ideas.
This episodes concludes with our reactions to the recently released trailer for Season Three of The Mandalorian, which premieres on March 1st.
- REVIEW: The Bad Batch Season Two
- Hyperspace Theories: The Separatists in The Bad Batch
- Is “Faster” Filler?
- The Bad Batch “Tribe” and The Clone Wars Tales Told and Untold
- It’s Time for a Departure From ‘Bottle Episode’ (Vulture)
- The Hero’s Journey (discussing Campbell and Vogler story structures)
- The Mandalorian Season Three trailer (YouTube)
- The Mandalorian Season Three featurette “Phenomenon” (YouTube)
- Hyperspace Theories: Twitter @HyperspacePod
- Tricia Barr: Twitter @FANgirlcantina; email Tricia@fangirlblog.com
- B.J. Priester: Twitter @RedPenofLex; email Lex@fangirlblog.com
- Katee Sackhoff Hints At Bo-Katan’s Age in The Mandalorian - March 10, 2023
- Executive Producer Rick Famuyiwa On Complicated Stories in The Mandalorian - March 5, 2023
- Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni on The Mandalorian Season 3 - March 3, 2023